Check Out These Pages

January 16, 2012

Cuban-Style Black Bean Soup

I got this recipe from SparkPeople's website. You'll find lots of good healthy lifestyle tips there! 

Ingredients

1 large red bell pepper
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1 medium green bell pepper
1 jalapeno
1 medium white onion
2 cloves of garlic
8 oz. chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
3 cups black beans
1 tbsp paprika
3 tsp ground cumin (or more, if you're me!)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Directions

Heat olive oil in the bottom of a deep pot.
Begin by sauteing the chopped onion and garlic; be sure the pieces are chopped to a manageable size.
Once the onion has just started to lighten and turn soft, throw in the peppers.
Once the color of the peppers starts to brighten and the onion is almost clear, throw in the jalapeno, paprika and cumin.
When the veggies are coated and cooked to your comfort level, lower heat and pour in broth. If you like a meaty bean soup, add the meat of your choice at this point. 
Drain, but don't rinse, black beans. Pour them into the veggie and broth mix, and simmer until beans are tender.

Number of Servings: 6

Adapted from a recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ALABAMASLAMMA.

Follow Me on Pinterest

14 comments:

  1. looks good-added you from inspire me monday

    Daddy Waddy Weeviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds tasty,Thanks for linking up for Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe
    Win a gorgeous paper doll
    http://evescrochet.blogspot.com/2012/01/guess-my-secret-project-paper-doll.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum and looks delish :-) thank you for sharing the recipe too :-) Visiting from Green Monday, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2012/01/the-green-angry-bird-balloon.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That look yummy! We're going to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I just made a batch of black beans in my crock pot yesterday and I think I will have to try this recipe- I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for sharing, I found you via Quick and Easy, Cheap and Healthy's link-up today. Stop by my blog sometime, http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks interesting. I might try this recipe. I have some canned black beans gathering dust in my cupboard. Thanks for sharing!

    I found this post via Someday Craft's Whatever Goes Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds deeeelish! I will have to give this a try. I found your blog on the wednesday blog hop and am a new follower. If you have time check out my site at http://hmmargazi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been married to a Cuban for many years. These sound very good but are NOT "Cuban style". Just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous!! can tell it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious, I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! You have such a great blog! I'm now following from Welcome Wednesday! Feel free to follow back at www.dandygiveaway.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wee, so yummy, would love to try this one, thanks for joing green monday, see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a healthy, delicious and satisfying soup! Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for comment moderation, but find it necessary in order to eliminate spam.

Thank you for your visit. I read every comment and value both your visit and your thoughts. Please stop by every Tuesday and share your favorite photos.